Uninterruptible Power Supply with Peripherals and I2C control Interface
Designed Especially for the Raspberry Pi® 3
Raspberry Pi®: Pi 2, Pi Zero, Pi A+, Pi B+
3 A total current Supply with GPIO Powering Input and Battery Back-Up
Hardware RTCC, Bi Stable Relay (optional), 3 x 12 bit Fast prescaled A/D
Ordered Item contains:
- UPS PIco HV3.0A 450 mAh TopEnd PCB with all described below long list of features
- LiPO Battery 450 mAh 15C
- Not Soldered 2 x 8 Pins headers for all specified below I/Os
- Not Soldered Gold Plated Reset Pin
- Not Soldered Electromagnetic Sounder
- Mounting Spacers, screws, nuts need to mount on the Raspberry Pi® microcomputer
The UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT is an advanced uninterruptible power supply designed for the for the Raspberry Pi® 3 (but compatible also with the Raspberry Pi 2, and Raspberry Pi Zero) that adds a wealth of innovative power back-up functionality and development features to the innovative micro-computer!
Offers now total 3A current from the External Power Supply or battery backup, 3 User Keys, 3 User LEDs, 3 different types of high capacity batteries, 2x3 contacts bi-stable relay (Zero Power), as also 3 xA/D 12 bit converters with pre adjustable readings to 5V, 10V, 20V and 30V conversion (when used with Terminal Blocks PCB or separate external resistor for higher voltages that 5V). Now, with additional External Supply Powering Input; that has implemented Dynamic Power Tracking; automatically adjust battery charging current according to power availability from 100mA – 1000 mAh, in order to use all available energy from the Solar Panel in case of use. This feature has been especially designed to support Solar Panel Powering Raspberry Pi® Systems, as it is adjusting the charging battery current to available Sunning conditions. The External Supply Powering Input is able to accept power from 7 V DC up to 28 V DC!! Thus make it ideal for Cars, Trucks, Buses and any industrial applications where voltage is usually higher than 24V DC. The External Supply Powering Input is equipped with Over Current protection, Over Voltage as also with Zero Voltage Drop Inverse Polarity Protection protecting Raspberry Pi System from improper usage, but also offers, due to zero voltage drop, usage of all available energy from the Solar Panel in case of use. The New UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT is an all-in-one tool that allows implementing easy and fast simple applications as also complicated projects providing a set of pre installed peripherals.
The UPS PIco HV3.0A is standard equipped with a 450 mAh 15C LiPO battery specially designed to enable safe shut down during cabled power cut and automatic system restart when cabled power comes back. The included battery provides enough energy to keep running system for 10-15 minutes in case of absence of the cable power. Additionally, this can be easily upgraded to the extended 4000mAh version,8000 mAh as also 12000 mAh batteries (optional on special request), which enables prolonged use of a Raspberry Pi for more than 32 hours without a power supply connected (with biggest battery installed)!
The UPS PIco HV3.0 HATdesign support now batteries with different chemistry: LiPO as also LiFePO4. Especially the LiFePO4 batteries are addressed to applications where temperatures environment is more restricted as can be used for supplying from -10 degrees up to +60 degrees. In addition the LiFePO4 have a unique extremely long life of charging/discharging that can achieve up to 2000 cycles!!
The implemented trimmed Hardware Real Time Clock and Calendar, guarantees time stamp when system is running without access to the Network. The Hardware RTCC is backed up and powered from the integrated system battery.
The integrated Hardware RTCC enables a new extremely usefully feature – the Events Triggered RTCC Based System Actions Scheduler. The Events Triggered RTCC Based System Actions Scheduler allows to timely start up, or shutdown the Raspberry Pi® on various internal or external events that include, data available on RS232, IR, A/D, RTCC, and temperature, Opto Coupler Input or just on requested Time Stamp.
Professional developers often need to protect their application. In order to support them UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT offers the XTEA dual path encryption (on read and write path) embedded engine that protect the developed software with the secure code.
The UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT 450 mAh Stack Plus offers 2.6A battery power backup for the Raspberry Pi® via GPIOs as also 3A extended power supply, but not only. In addition is offered an independent from the Raspberry Pi® powering, battery backed output of 5V@750 mA available for the user devices connected to the Raspberry Pi® that must be running even if the mother Raspberry Pi® is shut down and not powered (i.e. USB powered HUBs, WiFi Routers, Motion Detectors, HDDs etc). The total current cannot exceed 3A. The current supply delivered via GPIOs to the Raspberry Pi® is2.6A.
Many applications need to have secondary RS232 in addition to the primary one offered by the Raspberry Pi®. Until today, it has been solved by users with add-on hardware put on the top. Not anymore!! With the UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT user have access to integrated secondary serial port 3.3V level but save also to be used with 5V level. This makes the developed application cost effective and more robust.
Now withadditional Terminals Blocks Add-on PCBUPS PIco HV3.0 HAToffers a professional I/O connectivity for any industrial application including 12V level converter for both Serial Ports (one of them must be selected).
The Zero Power Bi Stable Relay offers two independent sets of terminals, each one offers up to 1A contacts able to switch ON/OFF various peripherals of the developed system. Due to unique design, no power is required when Bi Stable Relay is in Set/Reset state, making it ideal for battery powered applications. Two independent 3 contacts sets offered (NC, NO, CO) are switched at the same time and are able to relay 2 independent applications.
Now, the high voltage signal can be monitored safely with the Opto Coupled interface, which can be read as digital as also analogue input.
The IoT developers will find useful the 3 ESD protected 12 bits buffered A/D converters as also number of internal sensors and sensor interfaces that can be used for system monitoring such as Battery Voltage, External Powering Voltage, Raspberry Pi Voltage, Current Consumption, System Temperature and 1-wire interface.
Especially with the additional Terminals Blocks Add-on PCB user can preset A/D converters to scaled measure of 5V, 10V, 20V, as also 30 V with a simple jumper selection or external resistor. In addition the Terminals Blocks Add-on PCB offers one A/D converter followed voltage follower with input impedance of 1M Ohm, allowing very high impedance sensors connectivity.
The UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT can also be equipped with an optional Infra-Red Receiver which is routed directly to GPIO18 via the PCB. This opens the door for remote operation of the Raspberry Pi® and UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT including remotely ON/OFF.
The embedded Electromagnetic Programmable Sounder can be used as asimple buzzer but also as music player due to implemented sound generator and dedicated programmer interface.
Finally, the UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT features an implemented Automatic Temperature Control PWM FAN controller, and can be equipped with a micro fan kit, which enables the use of the Raspberry Pi® in extreme conditions including very high temperature environments. The FAN speed can be manually/automatically adjusted according to system temperature conditions linear from 0 % (FAN is OFF) up to 100% by increasing and decreasing rotation speed. Thus guarantees the possible lowest level of noise and always cool Raspberry Pi® 3.
UPS PIco 3.0 HAT TopEnd Core Features
The list of features of the UPS PIco HV3.0 HAT is as follows:
- Raspberry Pi ® HAT Compliant
- Plug and Play – Ultra Simple semi Automatic Installation via GitHub
- Interrupts driven interaction with Raspberry Pi® based on Daemons
- Simple status email broadcasting system based on Daemons
- Intelligent Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
- Integrated LiPO Battery (10-15 Minutes of System Power Back-Up)
- No Additional External Power Input Required
- Optional 4000 or 8000 mAh Battery for 8 – 16 Hours Run-Time (Not Included)
- Optional 12000 mAh Battery for extremely long Run-Time (Not Included – on special request)
- Each High Capacity Battery comes with dedicated plastic screwed mounting base
- Support for LiPO and LiFePO4 batteries on the same PCB with simple command switching
- 5V 2.6A Power Backup (Short Peak Output 5V 3A)
- Integrated HardwareReal Time Clock (RTC) with Battery Back-Up
- Automatic File Safe Shutdown and Wake-up Functionality
- Single button System ON/OFF for battery powered applications
- Events Triggered RTC Based System Actions Scheduler (Triggered ON/OFF based on RTC or External Events – voltage, RS232 data, A/D, IR etc)
- PWM fan control (Fan Not Included), FAN PWM interface is integrated on each PIco HV3.0 PCB
- 3 User Defined LEDs for their own user application
- 3 User Defined Buttons for their own user application
- Separate TH Soldering Pads for each user button and FSSD for external button connection
- Optional Bi Stable Relay (Zero Power) with dual separated independent contacts
- Additional 5V (independent from Raspberry Pi® powering) power source with battery backup, available for user applications also when Raspberry Pi is OFF (5V@750mA) protected with PPTC FUSE and reverse current flow diode
- Programmable Integrated Sounder for UPS and User Applications (able to play music)
- Status Monitoring - Powering Voltage, UPS Battery Voltage, Current and Temperature
- I2C PICo Interface for Control and Monitoring
- RS232 Raspberry Pi® Interface for Control and Monitoring
- Double path XTEA BasedCryptography for User Software Protection
- 2 Level Watch-dog Functionality with FSSD and unconditional Hardware Reset (if system Hangs-up)
- Direct Raspberry Pi® Hardware Reset Button via Spring Test Pin (Pogo pin)
- 16 pins Stack-able Header for PIco Add-On Boards
- Boot Loader for Live Firmware Update
- Intelligent IR Remote Power System Shutdown (if IR received installed)
- Infra Red Receiver Sensor Interface (IR Not Included) directly connected to the GPIO18
- Integrated EDS-Protected 3 Channel A/D 12 Bit Converters 0-5.2V (optional per-scaled to 10V, 20V and 30V via Terminals Blocks PCB add-on or external resistor)
- Optional A/D converter with voltage follower (ideal for IoT applications) - via Terminals Blocks PCB add-on boards to 16 pins header
- Integrated ESD-Protected 1-Wire Interface
- Programmable second RS232 interface (5V tolerant)
- 12V RS232 interface via Terminals Blocks PCB
- Labeled J8Raspberry Pi® GPIOPins for Easy Plug & Play of experimental cables
- Fits inside to the Official Raspberry Pi® Case with closed lid
- Fits Inside Most Existing Cases